Stages

Hello!

I attended EY's toastmasters club just now. It's funny on like why did I join toastmasters so sudden? Well, I didn't join the club. I was there as a guest as I was invited there by my bf's cousin and he was giving a speech, so why not attend to support.

I was given an opportunity to speak on an impromptu speech. Firstly, I couldn't connect to the topic given. Secondly, I didn't take my time to structure my speech. Third and lastly, I think my speech was a flop even though they commented that I was a natural but I still think it wasn't good, at least not to my par. Yes, I admit I have very high standards that sometimes I could be very hard on myself.

After everything has ended, it has taught me a few things, more of like made me realised of a few things. Firstly, made me realise that I have a well versed bf. I like how he structured his speech in such a short time and how he could connect to the audience. Almost everyone liked his speech including me (no. 1 supporter right here!) heh.

Next would be, turned out I'm actually quite introverted. Or maybe I wasn't mentally prepared for this. It was quite a last minute thing. I was supposed to have a nice dinner with my bestie but turned out she has loads to do so it was really last minute for me to join this toastmasters meeting. I already mentally prepared myself to wind down for the weekends and suddenly this came up. I was very not well prepared to be honest. Oh well. I labeled myself as an introvert particularly on how I acted in the meeting just now, I couldn't get myself to warm up to the people there. All I wanted to do was to shy away and sneak out from the meeting room which I couldn't cause I was very far away from the door and the meeting room is not big enough for me to sneak out. Well, let's just say, I wasn't in the mood to talk to new people. Where like you start telling people where you are working at, what position and etc. I'm not a fan of small talks.. I feel like I have reached to the stage where I am content with the people around me already that knowing new people is a huge step for me to take unless, I already set my mind that I want to meet new people or I was on a good mood. That's all. Other than that, I would prefer not to talk and avoid all eye contacts as possible. I am weird like that. I am sure many of you can relate to this... right?

Lastly would be, I have a clear mind of where I want to go, what skills I want to build, what are the people I want to mix with and etc. Joining toastmasters now is not my priority as I have more important stuffs to attend to right now (which is sleep) haha, I mean, right now at the point of my life where I want to build technical skills first. Network later cause at this point, I have nothing to prove myself as a worthy network yet. I want to get to know people because I want to be close to them, be their friends instead of what they are capable of or how is he/she going to bring my name up to the board one day. Nope. I'm just not that kind of person to "use" another person to reach greater heights. I want to reach that height/goal with my own capabilities. Yes, connection is really important. But at the end of the day, it's really on you. You can be friends with the MD but if you can't perform or deliver , or don't have the skills needed, you just can't. People can't bring you there because they are your friends. The right people can only bring you to the right place when you have the right skills at the right time. Show what you can do and perform. Be so good at what you do that no one can ignore you.


I guess, it's time for me to sleep already!



Always grateful and blessed.



mun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google

Rants

Coffee